UC San Diego's Training, Research, and Education for Driving Safety (TREDS) program is recognized for their curricula that addresses traffic safety issues. In 2017, TREDS developed a curriculum to reduce underage drinking and driving.
The Steer Clear program provides education to reduce impaired driving in youth ages 15-20. This 50-minute interactive curriculum is guided by an engaging PowerPoint presentation that includes videos, case scenarios, and audience participation through use of the Kahoot platform. Topics addressed include:
- Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) and how alcohol impairs driving
- Impaired driving laws in California
- DUI checkpoint procedures used by law enforcement to screen for impairment
- Emotional, physical, legal, and financial consequences of impaired driving
- Strategies to manage peer pressure and make safe decisions
Two short videos utilized in the Steer Clear curriculum are hosted on the TREDS website. These videos addressed the operation of a "DUI Checkpoint" and "BAC and Driving."
For more information, please visit the Steer Clear website or email the program at email@example.com.
1. Visit the Steer Clear website.
2. Fill out the contact information form to request the program be held at your school.
To Get Your Points:
1. Host the Steer Clear program at your school.
2. Take photos/video of the event.
3. Enter the name of the submitter and select the activity completed, the county and school.
4. Upload your photos/video and a brief description of the activity (including the date of completion and any people pictured in the photo).
**Note - Points for all award levels will be counted instantaneously, but the Silver Award will not be granted until a participating school has earned the Bronze Award!**