UC San Diego's Training, Research, and Education for Driving Safety (TREDS) program is recognized for their curricula that addresses traffic safety issues. In 2017, TREDS developed a curriculum to reduce underage drinking and driving.
The Steer Clear program provides education to reduce impaired driving in youth ages 15-20. This 50-minute interactive curriculum is guided by an engaging PowerPoint presentation that includes videos, case scenarios, and audience participation through use of the Kahoot platform. Topics addressed include:
- Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) and how alcohol impairs driving
- Impaired driving laws in California
- DUI checkpoint procedures used by law enforcement to screen for impairment
- Emotional, physical, legal, and financial consequences of impaired driving
- Strategies to manage peer pressure and make safe decisions
Two short videos utilized in the Steer Clear curriculum are hosted on the TREDS website. These videos addressed the operation of a "DUI Checkpoint" and "BAC and Driving."
1. Visit the Steer Clear website.
2. Fill out the contact information form to request the program be held at your school.
To Get Your Points:
1. Host the Steer Clear program at your school.
2. Take photos/video of the event.
3. Enter the name of the submitter and select the activity completed, the county and school.
4. Upload your photos/video and a brief description of the activity (including the date of completion and any people pictured in the photo).
**Note - Points for all award levels will be counted instantaneously, but the Silver Award will not be granted until a participating school has earned the Bronze Award!**